5/11/2010 02:26:00 AM

Day 4 - Ending Location – Jackson Hole, WY

     Sorry about updating a day plus a little late, but I was exhausted yesterday and fell asleep sorting my 370 pictures.

A. Cheyenne, WY
B. Jackson Hole, WY
     Last night my mother told me about these interesting rock formations called Vedauwoo. I decide since I was about 3 hours ahead of schedule I could afford to stop and see the rock formations. There was only one problem; I couldn’t find directions on how to get there on the internet. My mom told me they could be seen from the interstate so I watched for the formations. I could see them just off interstate, but had no idea how to get to them until I saw the next exit was for Vedauwoo Road. I got off the interstate and discovered an amazing place.
     Vedauwoo is well known in the rock climbing community for its climbing, but I was impressed by the amazing rock formations. To see more of my pictures from this day please click here. Most of the rock formations are located on a dirt/gravel road. As most of you know, I live on a mile long gravel driveway, so the dirt/gravel road didn’t even faze me. Even with my new car. A couple of the locals I meet while on the dirt road were impressed I made it that far with my little car.

     After Vedauwoo, I got off the interstate and continued my journey on one of the US highway (I am not sure of the number). This was an amazing drive starting with the crossing of the Continental Divide - twice. From there, I drove though the most amazing rolling hills that slowly turned into mountains or large hills. One of my favorites was the Split Rock.

     Yesterday, I traveling though the Great Plains, I had thought about what it would be like to be a early settler and traveling cross country on the Oregon Trail. What I didn’t realize that I was at times following the path of the Oregon Trail. As it turns out, Split Rock was a well know landmark on the Oregon Trail.


     From Split Rock, the terrain continued to get more rugged and I started to see more of the local wildlife. The two big ones were wild horse descend from the original Spanish ponies and Pronghorns. Finally I entered the last leg of this stage of my cross-country trek. The only places that stood in my way were the Shoshone National Forest and Teton National Forest. As I started into Shoshone I started driving up the large mountain. The higher I got the more snow appeared on the side of the roads. Thankfully the roads were cleared. At some points there was about 5 feet of snow on the sides. About 40 miles from Jackson, the sun was shining and it started to snow. Yes, SNOW. It was gorgeous, nothing interesting happened in the Teton National Forest. After leaving both forest, I got my first view of the Tetons of this trip. In reality this is my first view because I don’t remember the last visit. I stopped to take some pictures but my timing was bad since I was on the east side of the mountain and the sun was setting behind where I was shooting.
     If you want to see my most of my pictures, please see my facebook page here.
Updated Cop Count:
Kentucky - 5
Indiana - 6
Illinois - 0
Missouri – 7
Iowa – 1
Nebraska – 3
Wyoming – 4

0 comments:

Post a Comment