5/25/2010 08:11:00 PM

Day 15 - Mock Dinner and Snowshoeing

     Today was our last day of mock meals. I was working lunch and the big dinner with a lot of executive staff and other important people. I got up and walked outside to go to work and found there was six inches. I repeat SIX inches of new snow on the ground. I was under the impression the snow was melting away not adding new layers.


     Lunch went off without any major disasters. After lunch, I was eating with another hostess, Libby, and a waiter, Tim. Tim wanted to go snowshoeing before dinner shift. I agreed as long as we were not going too far. We decided to do the Nisqually Vista trail which is a 1.2 mile loop.

     Since the trail is buried under about 5 feet of snow on average, the park rangers had put up poles to mark the trail. Tim and I decided to do a little of exploring and went off the markers. We found the valley where the Nisqually Glacier was located. So we did significantly more than 1.2 miles, but it was still fun. I learned two things on this adventure: 1. I am still not adjusted to living at 5400 feet above sea level and 2. snowshoeing is much harder than it looks. I didn’t take any pictures on this trip because I didn’t want to risk a camera on my first snowshoeing trip in Mount Rainier.

     Dinner service consisted of seating 50 people. The two others hostess, Libby and Emma, and I seated all 50 people. Then we had nothing else to do for the rest of service. Libby and Emma disappeared (I later found them in the bar, probably goofing off). I pretty much kept busy busing tables or delivering food. I tried to always be doing something. Both the managers and Wes said something to me during the night about how good a job I was doing. My motto was always be doing something useful or be looking for something useful to do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment