5/27/2010 07:14:00 PM

Day 17 – A Creative Solution and Staffing Woes

     Yesterday, my black dress shoes had caused my feet to hurt due to a combination of hours on my feet and very hard insoles in my shoes. I was getting ready for work, when I thought about my hiking boots having very comfortable insoles. So I took my hiking boot insoles and put them in my work shoes to help stop my feet from hurting.


     Despite the snow, the Saturday crowd was fairly large. Most of the people who drove up are either climbing the mountain, serious hikers, hotel guests, or on one of the many tour buses. Ok, so those groups of people are kind of obvious. Most the climbers and hikers start early in the day so they don’t eat in the dining room. The guest and tour bus people have three dining options if they didn’t bring their own lunch: the dining room, the Jackson Visitor Center Café, or the Hotel Café. Most people choose the dining room, because it has real food and a nice atmosphere. Today, we were really unlucky at lunch because all the tour bus people had brought their lunch and we spent most of the lunch standing around doing nothing.

     So lunch was very slow, but things were looking up for a decent dinner service. Of the 121 rooms in Paradise Inn, 52 were booked. Dinner service started off with a large party of 10 people and a couple of tables of four. It was enough that we were not simply standing around but not overwhelmed. This changed very fast. Suddenly we had a line out the door, a party of 10 people, a party of 8 people, and like 8 other table come in with in a like 15 min span. On staff we had 3 servers, 2 bussers (I was busing), a hostess, a bartender, a cocktail server, and the assistant manager. We were not equipped to handle this many people in this short time frame. I was literally taking orders, delivering food, and filling water glasses. I did not even have time to clear tables when people left. Finally, things slowed down but we were still busy. After all the customers left we had to change the dining room over for breakfast which means setting up the buffet, removing the table cloths, and resetting all 50 tables. For the buffet, they build this Volcano, basically a ring of rocks with a can of heating gel in the middle and berry compote on top. I have been the designated Volcano builder, since it has to be a certain height and be flat on the top. All this work took us about an hour and a half so I didn’t get off work until 10:30 p.m.

     On suggestion from my mother here is the new daily Mount Rainier Picture. Note how lovely the mountain  looks today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment